Welcome back to Brightly Black! In this post I will be guiding you on how to wear all black without looking boring. It goes without saying that Black is my absolute favourite colour. Or if you want to be technical about it, I don’t really have a favourite colour then do I? (Find out what I mean here). I hadn’t realized just how black my outfit was until after my photoshoot and I was going through my pictures.
I love black for it’s simplicity and ultimate chicness – no that is not a word, but it best describes how I feel. If ever you don’t have time to figure out what to mix and match and what works with what, black is always the safest (yet not so boring) bet. Black will forever be the new black, no matter what anybody or any site tells you, trust me on this one lol.
The trouble with black is it may end up looking a bit boring if you take it overboard, so you always have to keep some simple and easy-to-remember things listed below into consideration
- play with silhouettes
- play with peplum, or unusually shaped garments. With my look I decided to go with my favourite faux-leather waterfall cardigan to give my outfit a bit of zazz and prevent my entire look from looking like a cat suite
- put a belt on it
- black is already supper slimming, but why not add to that effect but cinching your waist in even more?
- get graphic
- I wear plain t-shirts – a lot – but sometimes adding something with slight graphics on it can really change the mood of your outfit and help add a dose of cool to your monochrome ensemble.
- fringe benefits
- that seventies look is here and looks like it’s here to stay. Fringe is in, take advantage of that by adding a simple fashionable piece to your outfit that incorporates this rad trend.
- sheer advantage
- sheer clothing. It can become a bit too much and you can end up looking like you are walking around naked if you take it too far. If you are going to incorporate sheer clothing into your outfit make sure that no more than half your body is showing. So a sheer blouse would be appropriate. But a sheer blouse, matched with a sheer skirt and nude heels? Too much!
- add a statement piece
- there is nothing I love more than an eye-catching statement piece to top an outfit off. With this outfit I would have to say that piece is the necklace. It’s there, you can’t miss it, and it helps break up the monotonous black.
- play with textures
- the beauty of all black is that you can play around with various textures as much as you like without the entire outfit looking like a busy train wreck.
There are a lot more hints and tips on how to wear all black without looking boring, trust me I know. But rather than telling you all that I know I want you to go out there and experiment. There are no solid rules when it comes to fashion. Everything you will ever read, hear or see is simply a guideline and I feel there is no better way to find out what works and what makes you feel comfortable than to simply go out there and try it out! Till next time. x
There are no solid rules when it comes to fashion.
Waterfall Cardigan: Milady’s
Leggings: Cotton On
Top: (it’s actually a tucked in dress lol) MRP
What are some of your tips and tricks on how to wear all black this winter without looking like a drag? Comment below! Also, find out how to wear this outfit for much colder weather here.
Follow and share on social media!
♡ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/itslaurina
♡ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/itslaurina/
♡ Twitter: https://twitter.com/itslaurina
♡ Snapchat: http://www.snapchat.com/add/itslaurina
Thank you so much for the support.